Applications Open: April 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Rolling (Not accepting applications at this time)
Interviews Begin: May 10, 2023
Program Start Date: June 5, 2023
Program End Date: August 14, 2023 (flexible)
Commitment: Minimum 2 days per week, possibility of up to 4 days per week.
Ulster County Climate Corps is a paid, project-based summer internship program. Participants will be assigned to County departments to help implement the County’s climate and sustainability initiatives. Projects will be aligned with the New York State Climate Smart Communities program actions and will assist Ulster County in meeting the goals of the NYS Climate Act.
This internship program is part of a broader effort to recruit and cultivate the next generation of County employees reflecting the talents and diversity of our community. Interns will gain professional and practical experience in local government, supplemented by skill-based trainings and guest speakers on topics related to the environment, project management, and public administration. Interns will also have opportunities to participate in community engagement and field work.
Applicants should review the list of intern projects and select a first and optional second choice. They should then prepare a cover letter describing why they are interested in their first-choice project, their qualifications to successfully accomplish the project, and a brief summary of how they would approach the project.
In addition to the cover letter, applicants will be asked to provide a resume and transcript.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Interviews with candidates are scheduled to begin the week of May 10, 2023, so candidates are encouraged to submit their application by that date for first consideration.
Prior to beginning the online application form, please have the following documents available to upload:
- Cover Letter
- Why are you interested in the project?
- How are you qualified to take on this project?
- How would you approach this project?
2023 Climate Corps Intern Projects
Climate Justice Outreach Plan (Executive’s Office/Office for the Aging)
Assist Ulster County’s Chief Diversity Officer in developing a climate justice public engagement & outreach plan targeted to low- and moderate-income households, communities of color, and seniors. (EO 1 of 2023 #13) Tasks may include:
- Produce print and digital materials for target communities
- Offer a class to seniors on energy efficiency assistance and incentives
- Community engagement fieldwork including tabling at events and canvassing
Green Business Champions Program Support (Environment/Economic Development)
Support the Ulster County Green Business Champions (UCGBC), a certification program to help businesses operate sustainably and receive public recognition for their efforts. Tasks may include:
- Technical assistance for registered businesses
- Outreach and marketing for new business registrations
Greening Office Equipment Lifecycles (Information Services)
Work on greening office equipment lifecycles per Ulster County’s Climate Action Plan action BF-7. Tasks may include:
- Conduct research and assist with procurement decisions in alignment with GreenNY specifications
- Assist Information Services staff with classifying equipment inventories with respect to sustainability standards
- Develop and implement procedures for energy efficiency in equipment operations
- Research and help to implement best practices for equipment disposal at the end-of-life.
Electrifying HVAC Systems (DPW)
Examine/study the feasibility of electrifying the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment at County buildings.
- Research available technologies for efficient electric heating and cooling of small commercial office buildings and other government facilities
- Review and improve the existing inventory of County-wide HVAC equipment
- Review existing audits and reports to prioritize equipment replacements
- Interface with the County’s On-site Energy Manager consultant to develop energy conservation measures
- Make recommendations for capital projects to Department of Public Works staff
- Assist with developing specifications for procurement
Climate Change Adaption Annex (Emergency Services)
Research, Create, and Implement a Climate Change Adaption Annex for the County’s Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP).
- Review Current CEMP
- Make recommended changes to CEMP for climate resiliency/adaption
- Create Climate Change Adaption Annex for the CEMP
- Prepare and present a presentation to UCDES and UCDOE on climate change recommendations and annex
- Climate change challenges and develop ideas on how to mitigate them
- Other duties as assigned by UCDES
Climate Initiatives Dashboard (Budget & Innovation/Information Services)
Create a visual data & resource dashboard for green initiatives:
- Develop a resource dashboard to connect residents to grants, subsidies, and other opportunities related to climate initiatives
- Collaborate with other interns to identify metrics related to their projects and other county initiatives for inclusion in a data dashboard
- Assist with climate-related GIS projects
Requirements & Commitment
- Open to applicants ages 16 & up
- Participation in 1-2 virtual interviews via Microsoft Teams
- At least 1.5 days/wk onsite
- Participation in cohort programming (trainings, guest speakers, workshops)