Pistol License Unit
Please note new applications cannot be mailed in.
Location: Law Enforcement Center 380 Boulevard Kingston, New York 12401
Hours of Operation
8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Questions or information: (845) 340-4237 and (845) 340-3639 or email sheriffpistol[at]co.ulster.ny[dot]us
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard unless you intend to fire the weapon.
Form and FAQ for Pistol Permit holders wishing to protect their information from being released:
- UCSO PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATION
- GUN LICENSE AMENDMENT (Must submit 2 signed originals)
- CO-REGISTRATION FORM
- NYS FIREARMS LICENSE REQUEST FOR PUBLIC RECORDS EXEMPTION FORMS
- PUBLIC RECORDS EXEMPTION - FOIL FORM FAQ
- NYS POLICE ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR ASSAULT WEAPONS
- NEW YORK STATE SAFE ACT OF 2013
TYPES OF LICENSES
Premises: A license issued for the protection of the business or residence premises. The use of the loaded pistol for protection is restricted to the INSIDE of the specified address on the license.
Carry: This license allows you to possess and carry a concealed firearm when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof. (P.L. 400-2-F) The concealed firearm may be carried except where restricted by law. All licenses are issued "Good Until Revoked."
BUYING A HANDGUN
A handgun can only be purchased through a Federal and New York State licensed handgun dealer. The dealer's receipt must include his or her federal and state license numbers along with a complete description of the handgun. Please come to the Sheriff's Pistol License Unit to complete required forms. You will be given a purchase coupon to bring to the dealer to take possession of the firearm.
SELLING A HANDGUN
Handguns can only be bought and sold through federal and state licensed handgun dealers. The dealer will give you a receipt to give to the Pistol License Unit to have the handgun removed from your license.
When a pistol license holder is deceased, the Executor or Administrator of the Estate must dispose of the handgun(s) within 15 days to a dealer, a valid pistol license holder or any police department or sheriff 's office. After the 15 days, you are required to make arrangements with your local police department or Sheriff's Office to have the firearm(s) picked up and held for safekeeping until it can be registered. (It is against the law for you to bring the firearm in yourself to the law enforcement agency.)
Any person who voluntarily surrenders to any police or sheriff's department (under their terms) an unregistered handgun, is granted amnesty from prosecution for Unlawful Possession. You should call the police or sheriff 's office before bringing in any weapons.
If you have changed your name because of marriage or for other legal reasons, you must provide the Pistol License Unit with a marriage Certificate or legal court documents verifying the change.
Should you change the address listed on your license you must come to the Pistol License Bureau no later than ten days after the change becomes effective. If you move to a different county within NY State, you must make arrangements to have your pistol license records transferred by contacting the Ulster County Clerk's Office.
LOST OR MUTILATED LICENSE
If your license becomes mutilated or lost, you must notify the Pistol License Unit and complete a request for a duplicate license form.
TO PICK UP A HANDGUN
Picking up a handgun is by appointment only. To make the appointment, please call (845) 340-3639.
A prompt report must be made to the Pistol License Unit under the following circumstances:
- Loss of firearm
- Loss or mutilation of pistol license
- Change of business or residence address
- Arrest, indictment or conviction in any jurisdiction
- Disposal of firearm(s) to a dealer
- License holder must be in possession of license at all times while carrying firearms. License holder should endeavor to engage in periodic practice at an authorized range.
- To assure maximum safety, proper safeguards must be taken at all times to keep firearms away from unauthorized persons, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN.
- Firearms should not be left in the glove compartment or trunk of autos, or any place where unauthorized persons may readily have access to them.
- A license holder shall not take physical possession of a handgun prior to obtaining a purchase coupon from the Sheriff's Office.
- Any violation of the criminal law as well as excessive use of alcohol, violent domestic fraction or abuse, erratic behavior, drug abuse or abuse of driving privileges or the failure to exercise reasonable safety precautions with respect to your firearms, may result in the suspension or revocation of your pistol license.
- A pistol license holder is authorized to use ONLY the firearm(s) that are registered on their license.
- Upon demand, a pistol license holder must show their license to any police or peace officer acting in an official capacity.
- You are not to laminate nor alter your license in any way.
- Your pistol license is valid in all of New York State only. However, it is NOT valid in the City of New York and in other states
For more information on pistol licenses, visit the Pistol License Bureau at the New York State Police website, or follow this link to New York Gun Laws. Follow this link for information on the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
REMEMBER TO PRACTICE GUN SAFETY!!